Linux/Unix System Engineer
In this moment, we are looking for a:
Linux/Unix System Engineer
for an important, international client.
You will join one of our Teams of system engineers, in charge for the design, implementation and operation of the infrastructure of Customer core platform application (a Platform as a Service offering). Teams are autonomous and independent, strictly cooperating, on a peer level, with software engineering teams. Our platform must satisfy significant demands in term of scope, performance, security, and availability for large customers with top-level expectations. Seamless provisioning, monitoring, alerting and remediation are of paramount importance in our environment. What You Will Do at Customer: Working autonomously in intense collaboration with other members of your Team and beyond, you will:
Manage hundreds of physical and virtual servers running Linux and FreeBSD (under VMWare hypervisor); Perform ordinary and extraordinary maintenance, upgrades and patches; Respond to severe incidents detected by our monitoring systems; Perform system and application-level troubleshooting; Configure and tune core platforms and components such as Apache Httpd, Apache Tomcat, Nginx, MySQL, Java VM, ProFTPD, OpenLDAP; Contribute to the design, sizing, implementation, deployment and service continuity of complex projects; 7×24 on-call availability is required for severe incidents (based on a fair rotation schedule with other team members); Follow up on corrections, adaptations, and continuous improvement of existing services; Follow up on second-level issues and provide feedback to our first level support; Escalate and coordinate third with software engineering when needed to solve issues.
What we expect:
- At least 4 years of professional experience in a similar position;
- Very good experience with *NIX operating systems (Linux/FreeBSD);
- Good experience with VMWare;
- Good experience with shell scripting (and/or Python);
- Completely autonomous when reading and writing in English;
- Autonomous in documenting your own work for colleagues;
- Monitoring is so important for you, that you will first consider what to monitor and then implement a system;
- Willingness to adopt new technologies beyond your current experience;
- You accept “DevOps” is not ubiquitously applicable, but your team will indeed be “DevOps”;
- You accept Windows is a fact of life.
Nice to Have:
- Autonomous in using Microsoft Office (yes, you *will* need to communicate to non-techies!);
- Good experience with MySQL 5.x;
- Experience with one or more of the following: Tomcat/SpringBoot, Postfix, Nginx/Apache Trafficserver/HAProxy, F5, LDAP;
- Experience with one or more of the following: Nagios, Zabbix, Grafana, Elastic, Vertica, Hadoop;
- Experience with dealing with data protection and security constraints in system administration activities;
- Knowledge of Windows Server (2008+).
Business Competence was born in 2007, to offer to the companies solutions and innovative services in ICT T & Business Strategy fields, from Security to Project Management.
Since its very first day, it adopts an international development model based on the solidity of the technological, planning and managerial competences, aiming at the confidence into young talents and at the work flexibility for each goal.
In Business Competence, to achieve a success means to immediately start thinking about another project, investing all profits to continuously generate internal know-how and original products’ development.